Monday, June 2, 2014

Unmasking Juliet by Teri Wilson (Romance Review)

Unmasking Juliet by Teri Wilson
*E-Arc from Netgalley
Ever since she was a little girl learning to make decadent truffles in her family's chocolate shop, Juliet Arabella has been aware of the bitter feud between the Arabellas and the Mezzanottes. With their rival chocolate boutiques on the same street in Napa Valley, these families never mix. Until one night, when Juliet anonymously attends the annual masquerade ball. In a moonlit vineyard, she finds herself falling for a gorgeous stranger, a man who reminds her what passion is like outside of the kitchen. But her bliss is short-lived when she discovers her masked prince is actually Leo Mezzanotte, newly returned from Paris and the heir to her archenemy's confection dynasty. 

With her mind in a whirl, Juliet leaves for Italy to represent the Arabellas in a prestigious chocolate competition. The prize money will help her family's struggling business, and Juliet figures it's a perfect opportunity to forget Leo…only to find him already there and gunning for victory. As they compete head-to-head, Leo and Juliet's fervent attraction boils over. But Juliet's not sure whether to trust her adversary, or give up on the sweetest love she's ever tasted... (Goodreads)

My Thoughts:
Unmasking Juliet is a romantic, modern day reinterpretation of  Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet by Teri Wilson. I have to admit, when I first saw the book, my interest was first piqued by the cover - which to me was both beautiful and romantic. Obviously intrigued by the cover (and already sold on: Chick Lit? yes please!), I went on to read the blurb and was very intrigued by the idea of a modern retelling of Romeo and Juliet (who doesn't love some Shakespeare?). I was banking on the fact that maybe Ms. Wilson would be able to deliver a romantic and happy R + J, and I was not disappointed!
Fans of retellings or modern interpretations of classic lit, romance, and happy endings will definitely enjoy this read. For me, it was a great read and one I would definitely recommend for some light summer reading or perhaps a nice weekend book retreat from reality.
Highlights
Where to start... I really, really enjoyed this version of Romeo and Juliet for so many reasons, not the least of which was the fact that I knew this one would have a happy ending! I'm sorry, I know some people love a good tragedy, a good sob fest and what-not, I am not one of those people. While I like some seriousness to my books, I also love a book that will take me away and give me the happily ever after and sometimes everything works out.
So, my first highlight would have to be that I knew in this version of R + J, there was going to be the happy resolution. Two, I happen to be a pup lover - so the addition of adorable puppies into the mix never hurt a story as far as I'm concerned. Next, the setting - Napa Valley, and if that weren't delicious enough the two warring families Mezzenotte and Arabella are chocolatiers. (So be prepared to crave a delicious truffle or two while reading!)
Other enjoyable highlights included (for me at least) the two main characters Juliet and Leo - I enjoyed hearing both of their stories. I also really enjoyed the family feud back story and learning the ins and outs. There were some nice additions in the supporting cast as well: Allegra, Cocoa, Uncle Joe, Marco. It was fun to see the families and how the feud effected them, it was also fun to see them compete.
Wishes
This is a tough one, this story delivered what I was looking for overall. I guess one wish could have been a bit more development and page time for some of the supporting characters. However, I really enjoyed the story just the way it stands.
Overall, if you enjoy light, delicious, romantic reads and don't mind a little star-crossed lovers with a side of competition mixed in - I'd say give this one a read. I really enjoyed myself and breezed through the pages far too quickly. I can't wait to try another by Ms. Wilson and so glad to have learned of an author who takes on the challenge of reinterpreting the classics. Can't wait to try her interpretation of Pride & Prejudice (my personal favorite) next!

Recommendations:
Delicious by Susan Mallery
The Perfect Match by Kristan Higgins
Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Rating:

4 out of 5 Doxies - Liked it a lot, definitely worth a read!!

No comments:

Post a Comment